Thursday, April 11, 2013

Angel's Farm Reflection 5


Angel Arias                        Silk Tree Farm Reflection                        3/28/13
To start, I’ll say that a lot happened today – but that was a great thing, it was a lot of fun. I believe the first thing that I did was use to rotatiller, which of course, was the first time of mine utilizing a rotatiller. I guess it was a bit more intimidating visually than it actually was, because once you get a feel for it, you could probably till for miles without flying all over the place. Maybe that is just me though, I thought that after a little while it really wasn’t that bad or difficult. After tilling a few lines and getting myself familiar with it, I was done with the rest of the area that needed to be tilled. Next, Cathy and I talked about the foddering process and talked about how her attempt was unsuccessful – and why that was, exactly. Apparently the container she was using to sprout wasn’t good for sprouting, probably because of its small and boxed structure – it wasn’t very well-ventilated and of course as such was quite susceptible to mold growth, which is what had happened. I would perhaps have to take this in mind when sprouting my own grains myself – to make sure that it was had good access to air and that it had good drainage so the water wouldn’t linger and attract mold. We also had to plant some seeds in the seed starters again, so we got to doing that as well, which, it was more-or-less what it was like last time, except of course the seeds were different, spread the dirt mix into the trays, plant the seeds, then water the seed trays, both the ones we’d just planted and also the ones that had already been planted. This wraps up my day interning at Silk Tree Farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment