Thursday, May 2, 2013

Angel's Farm Reflection 8



Angel Arias                      Silk Tree Farm Reflection                    4/9/12
Today there was a lot to do, Cathy had reorganized the list that they had on an easel board in the kitchen so that it was actually organized and more manageable, and put it into columns so we knew what we had to do. That day we were to move the chickens, plant some more things into the earth, start going over some more things with the sprouting system, and some things too, like making sure that the second chicken coop was fully built and ready before we moved the chickens, soak the mushroom logs, and maybe one or two things that I am neglecting to mention for lack of remembering. First thing that we did was something that wasn’t really official or on the list, but Cocoa had kidded in my absence, on Thursday, after I left. Yeah, that was pretty interesting, especially since it had been only hours after I’d left, but anyway, we went over to see them, I believe they were mostly does, three that were beige and white and one that was black and white, like the goat that Puppet had kidded. Smaller in comparison to the other does and bucks, but maybe it was the small age gap, or maybe they were smaller since there were so many of them that were delivered at once. Of course, after gawking at small goats for a little bit, it was time to really get to work. But before this, some guests came to visit the farm and Cathy had then been busy for a bit, so I split some logs with Tom, then me and Tom put some of the mushroom logs into a trash bin to soak, and worked on the chicken coop until Cathy was done speaking with her guests. After which me and Cathy planted a plethora of seeds straight into the earth, right next to the goat pen, a few rows of various vegetables and then we covered it with some white fabric from a large, thick bolt. I believe it was so that other animals couldn’t get to it as easily, and since they hadn’t taken off yet it wouldn’t mess up their growth, nor their germination rates. Next, I believe we ate, and we also at some point near here talked about what I’d like to refer to as the Angry Chicken (Yes, it is significant enough to warrant capitalization), a chicken who had become very upset, left the coop through sheer will and shrewdness, and then took residence inside a small little holding structure. I guess chickens can be quite stubborn, but at least the chicken was in a fortified position, instead of wandering around. The next part of the day was a bit crazy, and if were to tell you that I wasn’t chasing some escapee chickens around for a bit, I’d be a liar, and I’d also be downplaying the situation. So basically, when we moved the chickens (Which was what we were doing) we had some boards and auxiliary-route blocking obstacles so that the chickens had a minimal chance of escaping. Welp, some of them decided that they wanted to escape anyway, so I tried to capture them; but only after making sure that my area of the funnel-fencing was secure, and then tried to capture the more skittish chickens, successfully detaining about two or three, two or three more escaping in the process. As you can see, it was an interesting time. Since the chickens weren’t really as used to us as the other chickens, they were a little less happy about being grabbed, and you can probably see how that could be a potential issue if say, one of them were to escape. But by moving them into the new pen, not only do they have more room, we also have more room so we can interact with them and make them more accustomed to out presence. This was the culmination, and also the end, of my day at Silk Tree Farm, and it was bunch of fun. This summarizes my day there.




No comments:

Post a Comment