Thursday, March 14, 2013

Angel's Farm Reflection 3


Angel Arias                              Silk Tree Farm                         3/5/13
*Third day at Silk Tree Farm*

Today was another day on Silk Tree Farm, another productive one, but I have a feeling that is how every day there will progress. I got there a bit late, because of how the bus progresses and the passengers it has to drop off. When I got there we talked about what we’d do, but when we went outside I got to see the greenhouse – which had reached a further stage in development. I had been covered with a large sheet of plastic and there was manure in there to preserve heat. That day in particular wasn’t too cold, bit warm actually, but stepping inside the greenhouse was like stepping in a particularly sultry room from an average temperature area. It wasn’t so bad, but it was certainly warmer in there than outside, which I thought was really cool. I suppose that it is like that to preserve the warmth, especially as we are prone to fits of frigid weather. We did some routine things, but then Tom grabbed a tractor (Well, lawnmover, but close enough to be one) with a fairly large wheelbarrow-like object attached to the back of it. I shoveled a bunch of manure into it for a while, it got full, and Tom drove it to the greenhouse and then proposed that I drive it back. I chuckled, because he was only joking, right? I asked him that, and he was indeed serious – well it wouldn’t have been a problem with me, it sounded like fun. How difficult could it be anyway? So I drove it over to the manure pile, navigated into a U-turn, nearly fell, but valiantly completed my driving session. It was after this mishap that I was directed to where the panic-brake was. Shoveled more, then Kathy arrived, commented on my manure-shoveling, and after we finished the second haul I drove it over, Tom reverse-drove it back into the greenhouse, and I think that was it for driving that thing. After that I think we ate, and we talked more about things I had been researching, and we got to work on starting the blog. That was a chunk of activity that ate more or less ate up the rest of the time in the day, frustrations with Blogger filling up a well-portioned amount of time as well, but at the end of the day we had what we needed; a rooted, established blog. URL for that is www.thesilktreefarm.blogspot.com, by the way(My student blog's URL is hastilycreatedblog.blogspot.com). Has on my way. That summarizes another day interning at Silk Tree Farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment